Friday 18 May: 6pm Radicals, Rebels and Revolutionaries talk, Islington Museum followed by 7pm Visit to the Marx Memorial Library Free Admission.
Talk: Clerkenwell Green has been an important focus for radicals for over 600 years. From rebels of the Peasants’ Revolt to the Tolpuddle Martyrs and Chartists the Green has been used as a rallying point. The Marx Memorial Library at 37 Clerkenwell Green has previously hosted Eleanor Marx, Friedrich Engels and Vladimir Lenin. The Green retains its political association with an annual Workers’ Day march. Walk: After the talk, take a short walk with us to the Marx Memorial Library where John Callow – Director, will lead a tour of this historic building, built in 1738 as a Welsh Charity School. Highlights include extensive archives of the working class movements, a mural of the working classes overthrowing the symbols of capitalism and the editing office where Lenin produced the revolutionary newspaper called ‘Iskra’ (The Spark)
- RT @LyrixOrganix: In 2014 we began #UnFold on the humble Box Office Stage. On 6 December we takeover Hall One with @tobythompson__ @sophiat… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Islingtonlibs: @NorfolkLibs Here's our book for #nationaltellastoryday created by Inspire! Young parents from @allchangearts for our @W… 1 month ago
- RT @Islingtonlibs: That's why we have #IslingtonReads - a community collaboration to promote reading for pleasure in schools, early years s… 1 month ago
- RT @Islingtonlibs: It was such a special @WordIslington event and the best finale for #LibrariesWeek so we should thank our partners @allch… 1 month ago
- RT @HOIeducation: @Islingtonlibs @LyrixOrganix @keychangesmusic @allchangearts @Universalboard2 @IslingtonLife @ace__london It was a real p… 1 month ago