Friday 18 May: 6pm Radicals, Rebels and Revolutionaries talk, Islington Museum followed by 7pm Visit to the Marx Memorial Library Free Admission.
Talk: Clerkenwell Green has been an important focus for radicals for over 600 years. From rebels of the Peasants’ Revolt to the Tolpuddle Martyrs and Chartists the Green has been used as a rallying point. The Marx Memorial Library at 37 Clerkenwell Green has previously hosted Eleanor Marx, Friedrich Engels and Vladimir Lenin. The Green retains its political association with an annual Workers’ Day march. Walk: After the talk, take a short walk with us to the Marx Memorial Library where John Callow – Director, will lead a tour of this historic building, built in 1738 as a Welsh Charity School. Highlights include extensive archives of the working class movements, a mural of the working classes overthrowing the symbols of capitalism and the editing office where Lenin produced the revolutionary newspaper called ‘Iskra’ (The Spark)
- Word2018 is seeking co-promotion proposals from arts orgs working in Islington in Jun 2018 engaging local people cr… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 weeks ago
- RT @Islingtonlibs: On #ValentinesDay if you #LoveLibraries please share. @LDNLibraries @UKSCL @ace_national @LibTaskforce https://t.co/0LAn… 1 month ago
- RT @Islingtonlibs: Happy 250th birthday to the #firstdayofcircus! 🎪 Take a look at some of the incredible circus inspired performances for… 2 months ago
- RT @Islingtonlibs: Please join us for the Grand opening of our new #catandmouse library islingtonreads.co.uk/whats-on/event… @allchangearts @WordIslingt… 3 months ago
- RT @Islingtonlibs: We loved this which was performed as part of the @WordIslington festival! 👍 twitter.com/upswingaerial/… 4 months ago