Friday 18 May: 6pm Radicals, Rebels and Revolutionaries talk, Islington Museum followed by 7pm Visit to the Marx Memorial Library Free Admission.
Talk: Clerkenwell Green has been an important focus for radicals for over 600 years. From rebels of the Peasants’ Revolt to the Tolpuddle Martyrs and Chartists the Green has been used as a rallying point. The Marx Memorial Library at 37 Clerkenwell Green has previously hosted Eleanor Marx, Friedrich Engels and Vladimir Lenin. The Green retains its political association with an annual Workers’ Day march. Walk: After the talk, take a short walk with us to the Marx Memorial Library where John Callow – Director, will lead a tour of this historic building, built in 1738 as a Welsh Charity School. Highlights include extensive archives of the working class movements, a mural of the working classes overthrowing the symbols of capitalism and the editing office where Lenin produced the revolutionary newspaper called ‘Iskra’ (The Spark)
- RT @Islingtonlibs: WOW! Is that a @WordIslington bag on Andy Warhol's sofa?! The Word Bird get's everywhere. #Word https://t.co/ILa6xhVuwp 1 month ago
- RT @AFCCommunity: ‘Grandads, dads and lads’ football poetry session today - part of @IslingtonLife @WordIslington ‘Going Places’ literary a… 3 months ago
- RT @allchangearts: Thank you @AFCCommunity & #allchangeassociateartist @PaulLyalls for this annual @WordIslington tradition! #Word2019. Th… 3 months ago
- Looking forward to the @keychangesmusic #TalentShow this evening 6-9pm @StLukesTrust for @WMHDay… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 months ago
- RT @allchangearts: Can’t wait #fabulous #FREE #Family event - Mole & Gecko: The Show today 2pm Finsbury Library 245 St John St EC1V 4NB und… 3 months ago