Friday 18 May: 6pm Radicals, Rebels and Revolutionaries talk, Islington Museum followed by 7pm Visit to the Marx Memorial Library Free Admission.
Talk: Clerkenwell Green has been an important focus for radicals for over 600 years. From rebels of the Peasants’ Revolt to the Tolpuddle Martyrs and Chartists the Green has been used as a rallying point. The Marx Memorial Library at 37 Clerkenwell Green has previously hosted Eleanor Marx, Friedrich Engels and Vladimir Lenin. The Green retains its political association with an annual Workers’ Day march. Walk: After the talk, take a short walk with us to the Marx Memorial Library where John Callow – Director, will lead a tour of this historic building, built in 1738 as a Welsh Charity School. Highlights include extensive archives of the working class movements, a mural of the working classes overthrowing the symbols of capitalism and the editing office where Lenin produced the revolutionary newspaper called ‘Iskra’ (The Spark)
- RT @Islingtonlibs: Please join us for the Grand opening of our new #catandmouse library islingtonreads.co.uk/whats-on/event… @allchangearts @WordIslingt… 2 weeks ago
- RT @Islingtonlibs: We loved this which was performed as part of the @WordIslington festival! 👍 twitter.com/upswingaerial/… 1 month ago
- RT @HOIeducation: In case you missed it - our Head of Ed's write up on an amazing project for @WordIslington with @AgeUK_Islington https://… 1 month ago
- RT @Islingtonlibs: And we were delighted to contribute to this and talk about our wonderful @WordIslington festival. #librariesweek https:/… 2 months ago
- RT @Islingtonlibs: A wonderful @WordIslington commission and definitely worth listening to on #WorldMentalHealthDay2017 https://t.co/bDN4M4… 2 months ago