Friday 18 May: 6pm Radicals, Rebels and Revolutionaries talk, Islington Museum followed by 7pm Visit to the Marx Memorial Library Free Admission.
Talk: Clerkenwell Green has been an important focus for radicals for over 600 years. From rebels of the Peasants’ Revolt to the Tolpuddle Martyrs and Chartists the Green has been used as a rallying point. The Marx Memorial Library at 37 Clerkenwell Green has previously hosted Eleanor Marx, Friedrich Engels and Vladimir Lenin. The Green retains its political association with an annual Workers’ Day march. Walk: After the talk, take a short walk with us to the Marx Memorial Library where John Callow – Director, will lead a tour of this historic building, built in 1738 as a Welsh Charity School. Highlights include extensive archives of the working class movements, a mural of the working classes overthrowing the symbols of capitalism and the editing office where Lenin produced the revolutionary newspaper called ‘Iskra’ (The Spark)
- RT @Islingtonlibs: Big thank you to all our arts partners that have worked with us on @WordIslington You're here in every word of this podc… 1 month ago
- RT @upswingaerial: @Islingtonlibs @WordIslington @ace_national @UKSCL @LDNLibraries @ace__london We love libraries! 1 month ago
- RT @Islingtonlibs: @upswingaerial Transforming library spaces for @WordIslington @ace_national @UKSCL @LDNLibraries @ace__london https://t.… 1 month ago
- RT @illustrationHQ: "The game evolved over weeks" - Our Head of Education @EmilyJost on our latest project with @WordIslington. @age_uk htt… 1 month ago
- RT @LyrixOrganix: @poetcurious @BConvention @WordIslington @KingpinLondon yes man! its all down to the workshop leaders, heard they were do… 2 months ago