Friday 18 May: 6pm Radicals, Rebels and Revolutionaries talk, Islington Museum followed by 7pm Visit to the Marx Memorial Library Free Admission.
Talk: Clerkenwell Green has been an important focus for radicals for over 600 years. From rebels of the Peasants’ Revolt to the Tolpuddle Martyrs and Chartists the Green has been used as a rallying point. The Marx Memorial Library at 37 Clerkenwell Green has previously hosted Eleanor Marx, Friedrich Engels and Vladimir Lenin. The Green retains its political association with an annual Workers’ Day march. Walk: After the talk, take a short walk with us to the Marx Memorial Library where John Callow – Director, will lead a tour of this historic building, built in 1738 as a Welsh Charity School. Highlights include extensive archives of the working class movements, a mural of the working classes overthrowing the symbols of capitalism and the editing office where Lenin produced the revolutionary newspaper called ‘Iskra’ (The Spark)
- RT @allchangearts: Our B Creative Festival 23 & 24/8/18 - allchangearts.org/b-creative-fes… w @AutographABP @ParkTheatre @furtherfield @candocodance… 1 month ago
- RT @HOIeducation: We are hosting a VERY special @LyrixOrganix full day masterclass on 30th July! Amazing #illustrator @joannalayla and #poe… 1 month ago
- RT @Islington4Women: Meet Islington's new Reading Champion Cllr @TriciaClarkeM and find out about what reading means to her and what our li… 2 months ago
- RT @FrancescaBeard: What a remarkable feat - @WordIslington Festival 2018 was an incredible line-up of inclusive, creative taking part by a… 2 months ago
- RT @hubislington: Nearly ready for @WordIslington Finale brought to you by @allchangearts - amazing line-up of performers ahead for tonight… 2 months ago